We believe one of the best things you can do for your child is to have open, honest conversation about all aspects of healthy living. These conversations build trust, and give the child clear understanding of what is necessary to promote wellness, including in their dental health.
BUT what if that doesn’t work?? While we still recommend patience and communication, we also came up with a list of the top 5 things a truly desperate parent might try.
Official Disclaimer: our office does not endorse any of the following measures. They are presented here for entertainment purposes only.
5. Bribery. My parents actually used this on me when I was young. One night, we went out for ice cream, and I remember innocently asking, “Wow, what’s the occasion?!” They exchanged a glance and said, “Enjoy that ice cream, because you have a dentist appointment in the morning. [Dentist’s Note: try to bribe your kids with things that don’t damage their teeth].
4. Bartering. The more entrepreneurial child might be interested in making a deal. Perhaps offer something like, “If you allow me to take you to the dentist, I’ll let you drive home.” [Not recommended for children under 12].
3. Misdirection. “Look! What’s that over there?!” They look, you grab them. It’s the oldest trick in the book, but still effective.
2. Flat Out Lying. Pick them up at school and tell them you’re taking them to a Justin Bieber concert. If they wonder why he’s playing at 10am on a Wednesday morning, just turn up his latest song on the radio and pretend you can’t hear. [Note: this will probably only work once before they stop trusting anything you say, so use your one chance wisely].
BUT SERIOUSLY, the number one answer is something we truly believe in:
1. Choose the right dentist. All jokes aside – creating a positive experience for your child is something we take very seriously. We are honored to serve your family, and our goal is to build such a great relationship with your child that they actually look forward to their next appointment.
Hope to see you soon!